SAUSAGE, PEPPERS, AND MUSHROOMS LOW-CARB CHEESY BAKE
- 2 T olive oil
- 16 oz. brown Cremini mushrooms, washed and cut in thick slices
- 19.5 oz hot or mild turkey or pork Italian sausage (see notes)
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thick strips
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into thick strips
- 1/2 tsp. Italian herb blend
- 1/2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (or use any all-purpose seasoning blend if you don’t have Spike.)
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups grated Mozzarella (more or less as desired)
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Spray a large baking dish with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Wash mushrooms and cut into thick slices. Heat a little olive oil and saute the mushrooms.
- Heat a little olive oil in another large non-stick pan and start brown the sausage over medium-high heat, turning occasionally to brown on all sides. (If you’re using pre-cooked sausage you can skip this step and just cut sausage before you brown it.)
- When mushrooms have released their liquid, liquid is evaporated, and mushrooms are lightly browned, transfer mushrooms to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Trim away stem and seeds of peppers and cut into thick strips.Heat about 2 tsp. more olive oil in the same pan you cooked the mushrooms in and saute peppers over medium high heat just until they’re starting to soften, about 4 minutes. (They will cook more in the oven, so don’t overcook if you prefer them slightly crisp in the finished dish.)
- Layer the peppers over the mushrooms in the baking dish. Season the peppers and mushrooms with spices and black pepper.
- When the sausage is lightly browned on all sides, remove to a cutting board and let cool enough to slice. Then cut sausage in half lengthwise, cut into thick half-slices, reheat the pan, and brown the sausage again on the cut sides.
- Layer the browned sausage over the mushrooms and peppers and sprinkle with desired amount of grated mozzarella.
- Bake about 25 minutes, or until all ingredients are sizzling hot and the cheese is melted and nicely browned.
- Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 219TOTAL FAT: 15gSATURATED FAT: 6gUNSATURATED FAT: 9gCHOLESTEROL: 34mgSODIUM: 407mgCARBOHYDRATES: 8.1gFIBER: 2gSUGAR: 5gPROTEIN: 13g
Keto Sausage and Cabbage Skillet
Need an easy low carb, one pan dinner? I’ve got you covered! This Keto Sausage and Cabbage Skillet is ready in under 20 minutes and has less than 6 carbs per serving!