GLUTEN FREE AND VEGAN SOURDOUGH BREAD
Looking for the perfect loaf of bread? This bread is gluten free, vegan and healthy. It only contains about 1/2 cup of flour, which is used to give the bread a delicious sourdough flavour. The structure is provided by high fiber psyllium husk and flax.
- 1 cup gluten free sourdough starter
- 1 cup water (chlorine free)
- 1/4 cup wholegrain gluten free flour (to feed the starter, see notes)
- 6 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 5 tbsp ground psyllium husk (affiliate link)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of additional flavours (see section above for suggestions)
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- Mix the sourdough starter with the water and the gluten free flour. It’s really easy to make a GF sourdough starter. See the notes if you are new to sourdough starter.
- Then mix in the flax, psyllium husk, sea salt and any flavour additions. It will start out quite liquidy. Leave it for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Form the bread once the dough has thickened. Sprinkle the tapioca starch on the counter. Using a spatula scrape the dough from the bowl to the counter. Coat your hands in tapioca starch, then roll the dough in the starch to form a loaf. See the picture above for an example of the sticky dough transformed into a loaf.
- I recommend baking in a cast-iron dutch oven. See the notes below for instructions on baking in a loaf pan.
- Leave the loaf on the counter, covered with a damp tea towel at least 2 hours. However, leave it for 12-18 hours for a well-fermented sourdough loaf.
- Preheat to 500F with the cast-iron dutch oven already in the oven.
- When the oven is ready, gently place the loaf in the dutch oven with the lid on.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then turn down the heat to 400 F, remove the lid from the dutch oven and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Since this is an egg-free recipe, this loaf uses a firm crust for the structure. The loaf is done when the crust is firm. Remove from the dutch oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
Low Carb Sourdough Bread Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 cup Flaxseed Meal
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup Psyllium Powder
- 1/2 tsp Citric Acid *See post about this ingredient
- 6 Egg Whites Whites only. Save the yolks for another use. See post for suggestions.
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3/4 cup Boiling Water BOILING is imperative here.
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- In a large mixing bowl add all of the dry ingredients and mix together. Pour in boiling water and combine until uniform. Boiling water activates Psyllium husk powder.
- In another mixing bowl, add the six egg whites, and 2 whole eggs, Heavy Whipping Cream, and Apple Cider Vinegar. Mix Well.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredient & water mixture. Combine until uniform. You might need to use your hands.
- Pour the mixture over a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Shape the dough into a round ball.
- score the top of the dough with an X shape for fanciness sake.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until its golden brown. If you tap it on it lightly and get a hollow sound, your bread is done.
- Place wire rack to let it cool. Slice to serve. ( Do not slice until cool).
Toast if desired ( it’s fantastic toasted).