Low carb keto salmon patties (a.k.a. salmon cakes) are ready in 15 minutes, with simple pantry ingredients. This keto salmon patty recipe is a budget-friendly way to enjoy healthy fish.
These keto salmon patties (sometimes called keto salmon cakes) make a wholesome and healthy seafood meal, without breaking the bank – or even a trip to the grocery store. If you need a recipe that makes do with what you have, low carb salmon patties are probably it. They are super quick to make (15 minutes, seriously!), because they’re made with canned salmon, meaning no need to cook the salmon separately. And, you need just 8 common pantry ingredients total, which you probably already have at home.
Serve this keto salmon patty recipe with a slice of lemon and an easy veggie side (and find more ideas for serving further down below). Perfect for a simple last-minute dinner, or even an appetizer.
WHAT ARE SALMON PATTIES?
Salmon patties are kind of like salmon burgers, with plenty of seasonings
added, along with egg and breadcrumbs to hold it all together.
To keep the recipe keto friendly, we make a simple swap by making these low carb salmon patties with pork rinds. They are very similar to keto crab cakes.
INGREDIENTS IN SALMON PATTIES
This keto salmon cake recipe is made with just 8 pantry-staple ingredients:
- Yellow onion – Grating the onion is key, so that the low carb salmon patties don’t have big chunks of onion.
- Canned salmon – Can’t make the best salmon cake recipe without the salmon. 😉
- Eggs and mayonnaise – These act as a binder for the keto salmon patty recipe.
- Crushed pork rinds (these are my favorite!) – Instead of the typical breadcrumbs, we’re using pork rinds as a low carb alternative. You can also replace the pork rinds with almond flour if you like, though the texture is a bit different.
- Seasonings – Italian seasoning and smoked paprika add flavor to the salmon keto cakes.
- Olive oil – This is used to fry the low carb canned salmon patties.
WHICH CANNED SALMON IS BEST FOR SALMON CAKES?
Any canned salmon will work for this low carb salmon cake recipe, as long as it’s boneless, but I recommend wild caught for the nutritional value.
This canned wild Alaskan salmon is great quality, sustainable wild-caught, and affordable. Triple-win.
IS CANNED SALMON ALREADY COOKED?
Yes, canned salmon is already cooked. That’s one of the reasons this keto salmon patty recipe comes together so fast.
HOW TO MAKE SALMON PATTIES
Making low carb salmon patties is super quick, with just a few easy steps:
- Grate onion. As I mentioned above, we’re grating the onion instead of dicing it so that there aren’t big onion chunks.
- Mix keto salmon cakes mixture. In a medium bowl, combine onion, salmon, egg, mayonnaise, Italian seasoning, salt, smoked paprika, and black pepper. Mix until well combined.