On those nights when you just can’t even, Chipotle is a godsend—but what if you follow the ketogenic diet? Is it totally off-limits? Luckily, nope. We took a look at the menu and created a handy guide for sticking to a low-carb eating plan without depriving yourself of a heaping serving of carnitas, cheese and, yes, guac.
1. The Base. Chipotle may be known for its burritos, but if you’re adhering to a keto diet, it’s best to stick to a salad. You could also order a burrito bowl; just make sure to ask for it without rice or beans (more on that later).
2. The Meat. Here’s where you’ll get the bulk of your protein. You’ve got five low-carb options when it comes to meat—and vegan “meat.” Stick to steak (1g carbs), carnitas (0g carbs), chicken (0g carbs), barbacoa (2g carbs) or sofritas (9g carbs), and you’re good to go.
3. The Veggies. Beans—even black beans—have a pretty significant amount of carbs per serving. Where veggies are concerned, skip the legumes and load up on lettuce and fajita veggies (5g carbs per serving).
4. The Dairy. Carbs may be kind of off-limits on keto, but dairy certainly isn’t. A few great options? Queso (4g carbs), shredded cheese (1g carbs) and sour cream (2g carbs).
5. The Salsa. Three out of the four Chipotle salsas are solid options: Fresh tomato salsa (1g carbs), tomatillo green-chili salsa (4g carbs) and tomatillo red-chili salsa (4g carbs). The fourth salsa, roasted chili-corn, clocks in at 16g carbs per serving.
6. The Guac. It may be extra, but guacamole is also high in healthy fats and low in carbs, so go ahead and splurge.
Have you ever wondered how to eat keto at Chipotle? In this post I’ll share what are the best (and worst) foods to eat at your local Chipotle restaurant, where to look for hidden carbs, and tips to make your meal keto friendly.
It’s easy to eat keto at Chipotle! Build a bowl or salad with steak, carnitas, chicken, carne asada, or barbacoa as a base. Add romaine lettuce and/or fajita veggies for lots of tasty, low carb nutrients. Then bring on the toppings! Choose from Monterey jack cheese, sour cream, fresh guacamole, and any of their freshly made salsas except for the roasted chile-corn salsa. Chipotle even offers a Keto Salad bowl to make things super simple!