Coconut Flour Cookies with Peanut Butter and Chocolate
- 1/2 cup peanut butter – almond butter, sunbutter, or other nut butter of choice (Note: sunbutter may make the cookies slightly green, but they will still be delicious! If you would like the cookies to be Paleo, use almond butter or a different Paleo-friendly nut butter)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar – or light brown sugar, if you do not need the cookies to be Paleo
- 2 large eggs*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips – dairy free if needed
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Place the peanut butter, coconut oil, and coconut sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and process again until evenly combined.
Sprinkle the baking soda, cinnamon, and salt over the top. Sprinkle in the coconut flour. Process again until the mixture forms a smooth dough, stopping to scrape down the ball once or twice as needed. Using a spoon or spatula, gently fold in the chocolate chips.
With a small cookie scoop or spoon, portion the dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheet. With your fingers, lightly flatten the dough, as it will not spread during baking.
- Dough can be prepared through Step 3 and stored, covered, in the refrigerator for 24 hours or frozen for up to 3 months. Let stand at room temperature until soft enough to scoop, and then bake as directed. (If frozen, thaw overnight in the refrigerator first.) Store leftover baked cookies in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- *To make vegan: I have not yet tested this but am reasonably confident that replacing the eggs with flax eggs should work, although the cookies may not rise as much and may spread more. To make two flax eggs: in a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal with 5 tablespoons water. Let sit 5 minutes. Use as directed.